So this week was a lot of travel in the middle of the week, thanks to delays it took me 12 hours to get from Atlanta to Pennsylvania, which is absolute insanity. But I made it, and all is good at the end of the day.
The important part is that its almost Halloween, and my kids have literally started a full on countdown to Halloween. My daughter is obsessed and we kicked off the week with a visit to Spirit Halloween to see the “fun scary stuff” and has started playing the Nightmare Before Christmas on repeat.
So down to business:
So as I mentioned, this week was .NET Conf, and we got a bunch of cool announcements:
- Announcing .net core 3.0 : Pretty exciting to see the new version of .net core finally get a GA release. Really excited to start building with it.
- Xamarin Announcements at .net conf : So excited about this, Hot Reload, that’s amazing. Compiling in mobile is a very time consuming process and this is a huge timesaver.
- ML.Net updates : A bunch of new updates that help with use of ML.Net to bring new functionality to your app. Specifically Feature engineering is pretty huge, and removes what I saw as a major limitation.
- Free .net, C#, and ASP.NET Training : Who doesn’t love free training!
- Azure Sentinel GA: Very exciting offering in the security space. A SIEM in the cloud is amazing.
- How to Develop your service health alerting strategy : One of the most critical parts of running a cloud application is your monitoring and alerting strategy as this defines how much information you have for debugging and ensuring your service is running.
Audio / Video:
- .net core 3 launch : DotNetRocks talks to Scott Hunter about the new release, always entertaining.
- How to switch an existing Azure SQL Database from Provisioned Compute to Serverless : Pretty simple implementation, but really nice walkthrough.
And finally the fun stuff, being a comic fan it should surprise no one that I’m a fan of the CW Arrowverse. I was skeptical in the beginning but Arrow, Flash, and Supergirl all turned out to be really amazing shows, and every year their crossover is something I look forward to. And this year they are adapting the “Crisis of Infinite Earths” storyline, and we will see a battle that affects the entire multi-verse. And I give the producers credit that they really reached out and are pulling in every DC property today or in the past. Including the TV show that started it all Smallville. So I’m very excited to see that Tom Welling and Erica Durance will be coming back as Clark Kent and Lois Lane in the crossover. Read more here.